Friday Update – June 25, 2021
By Mark Messman, Superintendent EV-W District #463
Fall planning is under way, and we need your assistance to access potential ESSER III Funds. MDE requires us to solicit community feedback on prioritizing mitigation strategies for a Safe Return to In-Person Learning in the 2021-2022 school year. Please take a moment to provide feedback so that we’re in compliance and eligible for the ESSER III Funds. The survey is located on the district website at www.evw.k12.mn.us/ under the Announcement tab.
As you know, the Minnesota State Legislature adjourned Monday, May 17, and with weeks of special sessions and negotiations it looks like the House and Senate have a tentative agreement on the E-12 budget bill. As a district, we’ll go back and revise our budgets accordingly, and then continue preparations for a successful year in 2021-2022. Below is a summary of the key E-12 provisions of the bill.
• Formula increase: $161 per pupil (2.45%) in FY22 and $135 per pupil (2.0%) in FY23.
• Special education cross-subsidy aid.
• English learner aid.
• Voluntary pre-kindergarten aid.
• Non-exclusionary discipline training.
• Suspends the implementation of revised academic standards until June 1, 2023. Social studies work will continue.
• Limits on preschool student screen time.
While the timing of the E-12 bill is bumping up very close to the end of the fiscal year, legislative leaders have said they are committed to completing their work to avoid a government shutdown.