REGULAR MEETING, Board of Education
September 8, 2021
Ind. School District 739, Kimball, MN
Chair Schreiner opened the meeting at 6:00 p.m. with members Becker, Gallagher, Eric Helgeson, and Mahlum in attendance; member Kurt Helgeson was absent. The Pledge of Allegiance was said by all.
Motion by E. Helgeson, seconded by Becker, to approve the agenda as amended. Motion carried 5-0. Item 3.2 – Student Report was added to the Community Participation portion of the meeting.
Pat Overom and Kyle Walters, representing ICS, along with Jodie Zesbaugh with Ehlers joined the meeting virtually to review options for the district with regards to the excess funds available from the LTFM bonds for the IAQ/HVAC construction projects.
Annah Winter, Kimball senior, joined the meeting virtually. Annah will be the student representative for the school board this school year. Members are asked to put together suggestions on projects they would like to see Annah work on over the year, or ideas on what they would like to hear from her each month.
Celebrations of Students and Staff included overall morale in the schools by students and staff has been great. There appears to be a great appreciation by students to get in free to the home events. So far, there has been good student attendance at football and volleyball games. A huge thank you to Hendricks Bus Service for having enough drivers to provide adequate transportation of students to and from school.
Motion by Becker, seconded by Gallagher, to approve the Consent Agenda, with a thank you to our generous donors. Motion carried 5-0. The Consent Agenda included:
• Approve minutes from the August 18, 2021, Regular meeting.
• Approval of Bills.
• Treasurer’s Report.
• Approve hiring Samantha Fussy, Kindergarten teacher, at BA, Step 1 of the Master Agreement, for 181 days beginning August 26, 2021.
• Approve hiring Deb Robben, paraprofessional, 4 days/week, at Category II, Step 6 of the ESP Agreement, starting September 7, 2021.
• Approve termination of Dakota Bratland, paraprofessional, effective August 26, 2021.
• Change Lee Paulzine coaching from 9th grade football to 7th.
• Resolution accepting donations.
Mrs. Bonnifield reported the following:
• High school enrollment is up by about 30 students over last spring.
• Needing to speed up the lunch line.
• Uneven temperatures throughout the building last week; it’s better this week.
• Annah Winter is the student representative to the school board; she is working toward an MSBA scholarship.
• Continuing to search for para’s.
• The first of five fire drills will be held this week.
• There is an Alaska trip being planned for June 2023.
• Homecoming is next week with coronation, dress-up days, powder puff, and a grades 6-8 dance.
• Honoring September 11th on Friday.
Mr. Timmerman reported the following:
• Smooth start to the school year.
• Thank you to all staff for their work unpacking and the move back into classrooms.
• Successful entrance conferences, but they need to be longer than 15 minutes.
• Enrollment is steady at about 330 including preschool.
• Picture day was September 7.
• PLCs started September 8.
• First fire drill will be held soon.
• Elementary staff is complete.
• The first PIE meeting will be held on September 27.
Mr. Widvey reported on the following:
• Provided an update on IAQ project.
• Provided an update on track facility.
• Great start to the school year.
• Preschool currently has 54 registered.
• We will receive the preliminary audit on September 27, with bergan-KDV presenting the final audit at the October 13 meeting.
• Plans to schedule a 5:00 work session on September 28, prior to the MSBA Advocacy Tour at 6:00.
Motion by Becker, seconded by Mahlum, to certify the 2021 Payable 2022 Levy at the Maximum. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by Becker, seconded by Helgeson, to approve the 2021-2023 Master Agreement with -Kimball Education Support Professionals. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by Gallagher, seconded by Becker, to approve the 2021-2023 Non-Licensed Agreement. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by Mahlum, seconded by Gallagher, to approve hiring Rachel Junkermeier, .4 Preschool teacher, at BA, Step 1 of the Master Agreement, beginning September 13, 2021. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by E. Helgeson, seconded by Becker, to approve hiring Samantha Blonigan, paraprofessional, at Category III, Step 4 of the ESP Agreement. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by Mahlum, seconded by E. Helgeson, to approve hiring Angela Ziebol, Interpreter, from September 1, 2021, through May 26, 2022, for 171 student days per contract. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by Becker, seconded by Gallagher, to approve hiring Morghan Mitchell, Interpreter, from September 1, 2021, through May 26, 2022, for 171 student days per contract. Motion Carried 5-0.
Motion by E. Helgeson, seconded by Mahlum, to approve additional fall coaching assignments: 7th grade Volleyball volunteers Kate Pelzer and Chad Spaulding, C Squad Volleyball – Kim Pelzer and Laura Frank (shared), Jr. High Cross-Country – Haylee Liestman. Motion Carried 5-0.
Superintendent Widvey reviewed current substitute para rates and those of surrounding districts. Motion by Becker, seconded by Gallagher, to increase the rate for substitute paraprofessionals to $13/hour starting September 9, 2021. Motion Carried 5-0.
Following review and a couple of clerical corrections, Motion by Becker, seconded by Mahlum, to approve Policies 416, 417, 418, 418.1, 419 (920), 420, 420.1 (530.1), 421, 423, 424, 425, 501, 502, and 503 with changes noted. Motion Carried 5-0.
The next Regular School Board meeting is at 6:00 p.m. on October 13. The next Benton-Stearns Education District meeting is October 20, at 3:30 p.m.
Member Mahlum again requested teacher reports at board meetings throughout the year. Principals are working on the schedule. Mr. Widvey noted that the Activities Director and Community Education Director have been asked to present quarterly.
Motion by E. Helgeson, seconded by Mahlum, to adjourn at 7.23 p.m.
Eric Helgeson, Clerk
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021.