Board of Education
October 13, 2021
Ind. School District 739, Kimball, MN
Chair Schreiner opened the meeting at 6:00 p.m. with members Becker, E. Helgeson, K. Helgeson, and Mahlum in attendance; member Mike Gallagher joined virtually. The Pledge of Allegiance was said by all.
Motion by Mahlum, seconded by K. Helgeson, to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 6-0 on a roll-call vote.
Community participation included a student report by Annah Winter, a Community Education overview and update by Celest Stang, an address from Erin Durga, EM-K President, regarding masking and distance learning, and a report from Andrea Welter, Academic Interventionist at the elementary building, with regards to the Title I program. Nancy Schulzetenberg with Bergan KDV presented the District’s FY21 Annual Audit Report.
Celebrations of Students and Staff included LEEA recipients Deonne Honer-Stangle and Theresa Niemi, and a thank you to district office staff for their work on the audit.
Motion by K. Helgeson, seconded by E. Helgeson, to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried 6-0 on a roll-call vote. The Consent Agenda included:
• Approve minutes from the September 8, 2021, Regular Meeting.
• Approve minutes from September 27, 2021, Special Meeting.
• Approve minutes from October 6, 2021, Special Meeting.
• Approval of Bills.
• Treasurer’s and Quarterly Reports.
• Approve hiring Devey Dahlheimer, Cubs Club Paraprofessional, at Category III, Step 1 of the ESP Agreement, starting September 13, 2021, for one hour per day.
• Approve hiring Mariah O’Brien, Paraprofessional, at Category III, Step 4 of the ESP Agreement, starting October 18, 2021.
• Approving hiring Mariah O’Brien, Cubs Club Paraprofessional, at Category III, Step 1 of the ESP Agreement, starting October 18, 2021.
• Resolution accepting donations.
In Mrs. Bonnifield’s absence, Mr. Widvey reported the following:
• We’re in week 7, and have gotten into the groove, but not without some challenges.
• Amazing things happening in classrooms as she walks through the building.
• Character Strong activities are held weekly.
• There is a shortage of subs.
• Devon Kelley has volunteered to be the fitness center supervisor before school daily.
• Mr. Frerich is putting the finishing touches on a dinner and concert to be held on the 29th.
Mr. Timmerman reported the following:
• Thank you to Erin and Andrea for presenting.
• Thank you to the board for allowing a social worker for the elementary.
• Currently there are 291 K-5 students with another 56 preschoolers – the building is full.
• The PIE group has started meeting again; working on their fall raffle.
• Chromebooks finally came in and are now in the hands of 3rd graders.
• Parent teacher conferences will be held both in-person and virtually on November 2 and 4.
• Preschool conferences will be held on October 18 and 19.
• Character Strong activities are also being held at the elementary.
• November 5 will be a teacher workshop day.
Mr. Widvey reported on the following:
• Provided an update on IAQ project.
• Provided an update on the new storage shed.
• MSBA Leadership Conference to be held January 13 and 14.
• Stearns County Family Services meeting in February.
• Elementary PreK-5 enrollment is at 347, and high school is at 456 means we have more than 800 students.
• There are Enrollment Loss funds becoming available based on the declining enrollment for last school year.
Motion by E. Helgeson, seconded by Becker, to approve and accept the FY21 Annual Audit as presented. Motion carried 6-0 on a roll-call vote.
Motion by Mahlum, seconded by K. Helgeson, to approve hiring Pat Erickson, Paraprofessional, at Category III, Step 1 of the ESP Agreement, starting October 18, 2021. Motion carried 6-0 on a roll-call vote.
Motion by K. Helgeson, seconded by Becker, to approve abolishing Policy 510.7 – Parent-Fan Decorum and Policy 510.8 – Parent-Fan Decorum Signature Form. Motion carried 6-0 on a roll-call vote.
Motion by K. Helgeson, seconded by Mahlum, to approve Policies 510, 510.1, 510.2, 510.3, 510.4, 510.5, 510.6, 511, 513, 513.1, 515, 601, 603, 604, 605, 607, 610, 611, and 612.1 with no revisions. Motion carried 6-0 on a roll-call vote.
The next Regular School Board meeting is at 6:00 p.m. on November 17. The next Benton-Stearns Education District meeting is October 20 at 3:30 p.m. and November 17 at 3:30 p.m.
Motion by E. Helgeson, seconded by Becker, to adjourn at 7:26 p.m.
Eric Helgeson, Clerk
Published in the Tri-County News Thursday, Nov. 25, 2021.